The Jacob and Terese Hershey Foundation seeks an experienced professional to join our Houston-based team as a Director of Finance, advancing our mission to support those working boldly toward a healthy environment, reproductive justice and the nurture of nature
Job Title: Director of Finance
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
About the Foundation: Based in Houston, the Jacob and Terese Hershey Foundation is a private grantmaking foundation that supports those working boldly toward a healthy environment, reproductive justice and the nurture of nature, largely within Texas. The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, with a commitment to fostering a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace.
Position Summary: The Jacob and Terese Hershey Foundation seeks an experienced professional to coordinate the Foundation’s financial and accounting operations, including but not limited to accounting, payroll, budgeting, benefits administration, completion of tax returns and compliance with audit processes, as well as supporting certain investments and grantmaking functions.
Key Responsibilities: The Director of Finance will:
- Manage accounting functions, including paying bills, generating payroll, managing cash needs, reconciling bank and investment accounts, preparing monthly financial statements, and ensuring compliance with internal controls.
- Support grantmaking functions, including regularly monitoring the Foundation’s required minimum payout, reviewing the financial information of prospective grantees and ensuring that grants are paid in a timely manner.
- Coordinate the annual budgeting process and prepare budget amendments as needed.
- Oversee processes related to preparing the Foundation’s quarterly tax estimates, annual tax returns and annual independent audit. Serve as point of contact with the Foundation’s outside accounting and audit firm.
- Support human resources functions, including renewing and administering employee benefits.
- Manage the Foundation’s insurance policies, including ensuring adequate coverage and renewals.
- Coordinate with the Board Treasurer and CEO in communicating with the Foundation’s outside investment advisor. Serve as a member of the Foundation’s Investments Committee.
- Stay informed about best practices in the philanthropic sector regarding financial management and consider opportunities to optimize internal financial processes.
- Execute special projects and assignments for the CEO and Board of Directors as needed.
Desired Qualifications: We seek a team member with experience in a relevant professional capacity who is enthusiastic about the Foundation’s mission and shares our values. The candidate must be comfortable taking initiative, interacting with certain external constituents and operating with a high level of trust, flexibility and responsibility.
Specifically, the successful candidate will possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, with a Master’s degree preferred.
- A certified public accountant license, preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting software.
- A minimum of six years of related work experience.
- Familiarity with the nonprofit, philanthropic or foundation sector is a plus.
Key Attributes and Competencies: The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Excellent analytical skills, as well as the ability to present quantitative information in a way that is understandable and relevant to various audiences.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to meet deadlines, take initiative and anticipate needs.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- High emotional intelligence and self-awareness, seeking and acting on feedback.
- Excellent judgement, integrity and commitment to learning and accountability.
- Ability to thrive and adapt in an environment of growth and change.
- Orientation as a team player, a positive mindset and an ability to envision success.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice.
Compensation: The salary range for this 25-hour per-week position starts at $95,000 and will be set in accordance with the successful candidate’s experience. In addition to salary, the candidate will be eligible for the Foundation’s employee benefits program, including but not limited to generous paid time off and a matching 401(k) retirement plan.
Location: This position will be based out of the dog-friendly Foundation offices in Houston, with the schedule to be structured as a flexible hybrid of remote and in-person work.
To Apply: Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We will contact those candidates who most closely match our requirements. Thank you for your interest.